With last week's call for all IGA stores to implement a set of required minimum safety standards to protect employees and shoppers, IGA CEO John Ross breaks down exactly why these standards are critical to the safety and well-being of the entire IGA family, how these practices helped the IGA China stores and employees stay healthy during their outbreak, and where to find the resources you need to meet the requirements.
Minimum Required Safety Standards for all IGA Stores During the Coronavirus Pandemic
1. Educate 100% of your staff on appropriate safety protocols and required hygiene practices.Ensure associates are up to speed on proper hand washing, food safety, and transmission prevention with training courses and IGA-provided signage.
2. Increase cleaning of high traffic areas that shoppers touch frequently.Grocery carts, register belts, and credit card keypads should be disinfected with the proper cleaning chemicals between each shopper, or at a minimum, every two hours. Please refer to the CDC cleaning guidelines below.
3. Communicate safety standards to shoppers. Post IGA-provided signage in the front of your store to show what IGA stores are doing to keep shoppers safe, from practicing social distancing to asking shoppers to “shop solo.”
4. Learn what to do if an associate is feeling ill or tests positive for COVID-19.Our goal is to keep all our associates safe, however, should an IGA associate, vendor, or shopper fall ill, follow these protocols immediately.
Should you have media queries related to an infected employee or customer, please contact IGA’s Ashley Page firstname.lastname@example.org assistance.
5. Provide appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
Insights from IGA China and new recommendations from the CDC lead us to believe PPE (like gloves and masks) is an important part of virus protection. Bare minimum, please continue to use gloves during food preparation. If available, please also supply all associates with 3-ply surgical masks, and install a safety shield at the register.
Note about PPE availability
As you no doubt know, the availability of personal protective equipment is dangerously low in the medical community. We at IGA are working to find a reliable supply of safety gloves, masks, and other resources you can order for your store, and also plan to secure appropriate masks as they become available to be donated to the medical community in your name.