Take 'N Pay Foodtown Hyper
Chatsworth, Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa
Department: Whole Store
Shopping area: 3,000 sqm (32,000 sqft)
Warehouse: 3,000 sqm (32,000 sqft)
Sales turnover: $3 million US
“We want our customers to be able to take full advantage of the special offers that our suppliers extend to us. But, because month ends are always very busy, we have a relatively small space on the floor that can be offered for supplier activity. In order to make sure there is enough space for everybody to participate, we set aside one day each year and invite our suppliers to join us for a “Suppliers Day.” During this event, each supplier is given a space outdoor to promote the products of their choosing. Many of them take this day as an opportunity to also offer special giveaway and activities. To make the event extra special and encourage family participation, we provide tons of entertainment, including face painting and jumping castles for the kids, as well as a variety of performers. The carnival-like atmosphere paired with the promotions brings in lots of extra customers, resulting in a 35 percent increase in sales turnover for the day. We advertise Supplier Day in all of the local media, as well as in-store. We invite both longtime and brand-new customers to join us for a day of fun.”
increased sales turnover
increased foot traffic
WHY IT WORKS
For Our Shoppers
Increased Customer Satisfaction
A day full of fun and positive interactions is a great way to reinforce ties to your customers.
Have a Great Time
By creating a festive atmosphere and providing plenty of good promotions, everybody is sure to enjoy themselves.
Get Some Good Deals
With so many promotions and giveaways, customers save money while learning about new products.
For Our Store
Everybody is Happy
Our suppliers appreciate the opportunity to promote themselves and interact with customers face-to-face, our customers get a good deal, and our employees have a good time.
Brings in Customers
We increase our foot traffic and sales throughout the day.
We learned that consumer interaction with linked promotional activities drive sales.
- Look at your calendar and determine the best time to host your first Suppliers Day. Aim for a date during an otherwise slow time.
- Approach your suppliers and ask if they would be interested in participating.
- Plan the activities. Reach out to local artists and vendors to schedule the crafts, games, and other entertainment you plan on offering customers.
- Promote the event via ads in local media and your social channels.
We sell allocated space to suppliers, reducing costs. Promotions vary by supplier.
- Holding an event outdoors can be risky. Be sure to have backup plans for unexpected weather, and ask each of your suppliers to bring a tent to set up under.
- Schedule a variety of entertainment. Offering promotions that appeal to all ages is the best way to make sure that you bring in a nice crowd.
- Don’t be afraid to ask the suppliers for help. From assistance with promoting the event to help bringing in unique entertainment, there is a lot that they can do to help make the event a success.
Have a best practice of your own? We want to hear it!